This article will guide you through setting up a RAK7258 LoRaWAN connector for use with IAConnect's LoRaWAN Servers.
Connecting cables and powering up
- Attach the LoRaWAN antenna to the connector
- Plug in an Ethernet cable to allow the connector to connect to your network via DHCP
- Plug in the 12VDC power adaptor if you are not using PoE
Once everything is plugged in you should see the power (PWR) LED light up
Connecting to the connector's Web Setup Page
By default, the Gateway is configured to work in Access Point (AP) mode. You will see a network with the SSID: RAK7258_xxxx. The “xxxx” stands for the last 4 digits of the device’s MAC address.
No password is required so you are free connect. Once you have done so you can enter the Web UI via a browser by going to IP address 192.168.230.1. The Web UI username and password are both “root”.
Configuring the connector's network
Setting the Root user password
The first thing you should do is change the root user password for accessing the device. This is done as follows:
- From the menu on the left of the Web UI select System -> Administration
- Enter and confirm your new password. Make sure you choose a secure password
This password will be used as the Root user's password when logging in to the connector's Web UI in future.
Setting up the network
You can choose to use a wired or WiFi network connection to send the LoRa packets to the LoRaWAN server. By default the wired network is enabled and set to use DHCP and the WiFi is set to AP mode.
If you would like to use a static IP address on the wired interface do the following:
- From the menu on the left of the Web UI select Network -> Ethernet Port
- Set the Port Type to WAN
- From the menu on the left of the Web UI select Network -> WAN Interface
- Set the Protocol to Static Address
- Enter you new network settings
If you would like to connect the connector to a WiFi network do the following:
- From the menu on the left of the Web UI select Network -> WiFi
- Set the Mode to Client
- Enter your WiFi network details
Configuring the LoRaWAN Settings
- From the menu on the left of the Web UI select LoRa Network -> Network Settings
- Make a note of the Gateway EUI. This will be needed to register your connector with the IAConnects LoRaWAN server
- Change the Mode to Packet Forwarder
- Set the Protocol to MQTT for Chirpstack 3.x (Protobuf)
- In the MQTT Broker Address field enter the IP address or URL of the IAConnects LoRaWAN Server. You can get this information from IAConnects
- In the MQTT Broker Port field enter the port used the IAConnects LoRaWAN Server for MQTT communication. You can get this information from IAConnects
- Set the MQTT Protocol Version to V3.1.1
- Enter the Gateway EUI you made a note of earlier into the Client ID field
- Enable User Authentication and enter the Username and Password for the LoRaWAN Server. You can get this information from IAConnects
- If applicable, enable TLS by setting SSL/TLS Mode to Self-signed server certificate, TLSVersion to TLSv1.2 and enter your certificate